Monday, December 10, 2007

Job opportunities

When I was 18, I got a job at the phone company where my mom worked. At that point, I had no ambitions, no desire to do anything to make money to have a roof over my head and some cash to party with. Liking one's job was a foreign concept, and any type of competitive career was not interesting to me. I was simply resigned to being a permanent fixture on the employee roster at Pacific Bell. I wasn't particularly bummed out about it either. It was a good job with great benefits, PacBell payed well and it was a union gig.

It never occured to me that all that "it's a good job" stuff was a rationalization for staying in a place that really was making me miserable. I'm not happy with what is now AT&T. I never was, but I didn't see an alternative to being there for ever, so I just told myself that everything was "fine."

Now I realize that part of the happy, fulfilled life I've been trying to live for the past 8 years means doing something with my time that actually makes me happy and fulfilled. I never thought what I wanted to be when I grew up. Gabe is the one who fostered my ability to look outside the box with what I am going to do with my precious time.

I realized my husband was right, that I'm not a drone. That yes, I can technically retire from the phone company at 48, but that's 17 years away. Do I really see myself being at AT&T for another 2 decades? The old scared me says YES, but that is a rapidly diminishing character trait, being replaced by a faith-filled me going "Oh hell no." It's taken a lot of people's support and input, but I seem to be in an open-minded, willing spot.

So Friday I emailed Weight Watchers to inquire about their job opportunities in the area I am relocating to. I am very excited that I found the courage to do that, and that I'm actually interested in seeing if it's a good fit for me. I found some ambition!

I'll let you know what happens.

4 comments:

Miss Bliss said...

YAY!!!

Anonymous said...

Right on!!!!

Kat said...

So happy for you...Yes, very happy times...Good luck!

Kate Danley said...

Um... I hadn't read your blog yesterday before our discussion and that is SO BIZARRE that we're both battling out the same demons. Congrats on the bravery, Mrs. Bravey McBraverPants!