Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Countdowns aplenty

I have been in therapy for 10 years, seeing the same woman the whole time. I started seeing her when I was 21 years old. I was not sane. I saw her 2 times a week for a while, I think on two separate occasions. I used to go into our Saturday morning sessions so drunk from the night before that I couldn't sit up in the chair.

Last night we had our final regular therapy session, and it was very emotional. It's strange to look into the face of some one who knows all your deepest crap and not be afraid or ashamed. I feel happy, free and able. She said she was very proud of how far I had come.

Looking back, I see a road paved with all the help and support of not only my therapist, but the friends I have made in Alcoholics Anonymous. I have no fear that anything that I hold dear will slip away from me when I move. I have no fear that I'm going to forget or be forgotten.

Whew! I feel all emotional and stuff.

No comments: