Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Wonderland

No, this is not another ode to my new place.

I'm referring to the book Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass. Why? Oh why can't I read this book? I want to. It's just not grabbing me. I'm not dying to know the ending. I could really care less. Why is that weird?

Because I LOVE other Alice fiction. I read a book called Automated Alice by Jeff Noon that was very fun, and I've read several different Alice interpretation-type books the titles of which are not coming to mind right now. I thought, "Hey I should read the classic story. It's a wonder I never did before??"

Well, I stopped wondering because I realize that I've tried to read Alice before and always quit. I just don't like it. I want to like it, desperately. I know you bibliophiles feel me. In some odd way, if I could just read this book my have-read list will be greatly enhanced.

The whole reason this comes up is because I recently purchased The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor. I had a harmless thought that reading the original Carroll version might be a fine thing to do before I tried this new one. Maybe it could enhance my reading pleasure. You know, like how knowing The Wizard of Oz helped me love love love Wicked.

Wrong, wrong and wrong again. Being a huge book reader, practically a speed reader, I can finish a pretty long book in 48 hours and still live a semi-normal life. 24 hours if I want to be a leeeeetle obsessive. Yet alas! I have been completely conquered by this slim volume.



Do you hate Alice too? Or am I a complete retard, unable to appreciate fine art?

3 comments:

Miss Bliss said...

Well first off I think it's important to note that it was published in 1865 and it's very much a product of it's time and place, thus it's also very British. This can contribute to a book lacking accessibility. It's been a very long time since I've pick up Alice myself and I seem to recall that I wasn't all that taken with it either. I like bits and pieces of it but I don't recall it holding together very well for me.
Just because something is considered a classic doesn't mean that you have to like it. I hate Hemingway and would rather drive spikes into my eyes than read his work...that doesn't mean it's not great writing nor does it mean that I am unable to appreciate great writing...I just don't like his.

Anonymous said...

It's probably because you don't do drugs anymore.

P.S. The reason why the book is considered a classic is because fitted in between the nonsense are mathmatical equasions and logic riddles. It's revered no so much for its artistic merit as the games that can be found inside if you're looking. It's like falling down a rabbit hole...

LGW Librarian said...

Many thanks for your enthusiastic leap into the Pool of Tears assisting Princess Alyss and Royal Bodyguard Hatter Madigan with their harrowing adventures into pop culture.

We would like to share with you new revelations from Wonderland as they come into the Looking Glass Wars Library and Hatter M Institute. If you’re interested in receiving this confidential material, before it becomes public, please supply a secure email address.

The LGW Librarian
info@lookingglasswars.com