Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Visiting home

It's so weird, in two days we're going to be paying a visit to Burbank. You all know the story: I grew up there, I've never lived anywhere else. The transition is easier than I thought it was going to be. It's amazing how adaptable humans are to their conditions.

I don't know how I'm going to feel, if I am going to want to stay there for as long as possible or if I'm going to be itching to come back to SLO county. I'm starting to feel like home is really where my husband and dog are. That geography doesn't have anything to do with that feeling of comfort and security.

I am excited to see my girlfriends and family, but that's pretty much the only reason I can think of to go back to Burbank now. I have found reasonable substitutes for all the things I do, which honestly isn't much: AA meetings, Weight Watchers meetings, exercise classes, grocery shopping. Um, I guess I live a pretty simple life. I like it!

I have been doing a lot of art projects, nothing fancy just paint-by-number kinds of stuff. But I've created some things I am proud of, and look at this as a stepping stone to original art. On the recommendation of
Kate I started reading/doing The Artist's Way, a book by Julia Cameron. If you're at all interested in being creative, I would suggest picking it up. I have had a few friends simply rave about their experience with this workbook.

I am working at Good Nite Mattress part time and just put in an application at Weight Watchers. I'm hoping to be successful at the former, and we'll see what happens with the latter. Whatever my employment situation is, I am almost positive that it will be more satisfying/fulfilling/enjoyable and less draining than working in the Glendale frame.

I'm also learning how to manage and balance my time in a less structured environment. There's a trick to it, which involves initiative and self-discipline. I haven't exactly figured it all out, but I'm pretty satisfied with my attempts thus far. I know I still have a long way to go with all this, my journey to a different kind of life has hardly begun!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i can't wait to hear your experience with coming home.
i've had it a few times. it's a unique one. :) so sad i will miss you! -caitlin