Wednesday, November 21, 2007

The baby race has a winner!

Well, that's not actually confirmed yet... but it's an inevitability. My husband's business partner told us that the doctor decided to induce his wife's labor at about 6pm last night. So we're just waiting for Sam Jr. to arrive, pretty much at any minute.
It's very exciting for a few reasons! There's the obvious: a baby being born can be a joyous occasion and in this case it definitely is. BUT there's also the implications on our life that didn't occur to me right away, until my husband mentioned house-hunting while he's up there manning the store. Eek!
This is becoming all too real. I am really looking forward to a fresh start, and for once I'm not leaving burning wreckage in my wake. Still, it's an unknown to me, what will it be like to live in a completely different place? One where I don't automatically know where the grocery store or gas station is, one where I only know three people total, one where all my other friends are three hours away.
In some ways, I can't wait to get the ball rolling in the new place. At the same time, I love the life we're living now.
I have this feeling of security and permanence that was an unexpected gift of marriage, trust and hope for the future like I've never had before. But mixed in with that is this feeling of impermanence of my surroundings. It's the weirdest mix of feelings I've had in a long time. But I'm happy that my husband and I have made a big, life-changing choice together, and that we're seeing it come to fruition slowly but surely.

No comments: